Thursday, January 27, 2011

Our First Week in China

The first week in China has been an eye opening experience to say the least. We've been so busy getting settled in and made so many trips (walking) to the local market to get little things we need, time has flown by. It's quite different from what I was told and read about China to actually being here. Most people would be shocked once they experienced it for themselves. The people here go out of their way to help us no matter what situation we are faced with. This week we were looking for a local Chinese restaurant we liked (we had it delieverd to work the day before) but could not find it, so we took the menu to a post office down stairs from our apartment for help. The security guard asked a woman who spoke English to help and they tried calling the order in for us, but they were not answering, so she called the bank manager Leo (who also spoke English) to see what he could do for us. He was very nice and said it was not too far and he would walk us there to show us where it was for the future. I estimate we walked a solid mile before we found it. I don't know any bank managers in the U.S. who would walk a "foreigner" who didn't speak their language a mile to show them a small restaurant. We were so grateful, and we brought him a few desserts the next day.

Anytime we had questions on something we were looking to buy, an area heater, or blow dryer or pots and pans or looking at a dvd player, 2 or 3 people will always try to assist. If their English is not suffiencient they run for someone who speaks it a little better to help and now you have 4 or 5 people standing around to make sure we get helped. I've never seen anything like it. We were also pulled to a VIP room at China mobile and a translator and our new friend Alexander helped us setup an account. Another example would be when my debit card was not withdrawing money at the bank, I started with 2 people helping, by the end and I'm not exaggerating, I had 6 people trying to figure out the problem. I guess the point I'm trying to make is they have been so helpful to us during this tough transition. If they weren't so helpful, we would have been lost so many times. Its very convicting with how I treat people who don't speak English back home in the states. I will forever be changed in that aspect of my life, I will be more willing to help in the future. Any time we look lost, or were reading a map, or ask a simple question somebody always comes to help. The Chinese treat Grace like a rockstar, making it very easy to build friendships and relationships here. They want a reason to approach us and tell us about themselves. I wish all the grandparents could visit and see how they love her here. They want pictures of her blonde hair and blue eyes, we stop every ten minutes for pics and to hear "she's so beautiful" which of course we agree. We can't wait to make some new friends to such loving people.

The city here is very different from an American city. There are a few areas that are "nice" tourist areas but there is no such thing as Eaglebrooke or Grasslands or south Lakeland or fill in your nice neighborhood name. They build billion dollar malls and high rises in front of 50 year old slums. Most people here are very poor and live 5 or more to a small apartment without heat in the winter or ac in the summer. The average person here makes about 500-800 rmb a month which is only about $90- $130 USD a month. They live in houses that we would condem in the states and yet somehow we all live next to each other. Their culture has taught them not to question authority or their situation. I feel safer walking through the streets at night here than probably most areas in Lakeland. They do not tolerate hard crimes here at all. Its very hard to explain but you don't notice the lower class people as much here because we all blend. We walk to the same area and shop the same street vendors, they don't have much but seem so happy. They live in a constant state of economic recession or depression.

They are very content and its not that they don't work hard, its the opposite, they work long days for little money. I am humbled by all of this and it makes me realize just how easy things are for us back home. That doesn't mean I was not thankful or did not appreciate what I had back home, I just look at things differently now, and it only took a week. I feel like I never really knew how amazingly good I had it. They do not tip here in China, so your bill is an exact amount. The servers work long days for set wages, so the customer service is not near as good as the states when it comes to restaurants, but hey they're not working for a tip so its understandable. They make roughly 5 american dollars for working a 10 hour shift.

I know this post seems long, but I feel that I have left so much out. I could write forever. I will save some for next time.

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment