Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Today God reminded me that I have ONE purpose, in China and in life, and that is to LOVE. I could ask for no greater an assignment.

One week ago today we left for what we knew would be an exciting and challenging season of our lives. So far we have experienced nothing but kind people, who look for an opportunity to help us at the drop of a hat. We expected to go through some culture shock when we arrived, and have been surprised to find that we haven't felt that way at all. Maybe it is because we prepared ourselves for many months before coming here. Their culture is very different, but they are also very similar too.

Today I found myself wrestling with the fact that a lot of the people we will help here won't understand our language and we won't understand theres, so how will we "reach" them? While we are serving are we so focused on the end result that we forget the real reason we are doing it anyway? The bible does not say, to serve others but only when you are certain it will make a difference or change a life. Today it hit me that it is more about obedience, and complete surrender to what God has required of us. I pray that we will all obey what God has called us to do, even if in the end we may not always see the fruits of our labor. When we feed the hungry, we are feeding our savior. When we love our neighbor, we are loving Jesus.

I've realized before we left we were so concerned with how life would be without all of the conveniences and comforts we had back home. I tried to prepare for the worst, and tried to bring all of the things I thought we might miss the most. Last night was the first night we had a chance to put everything away. As we emptied 6 huge suitcases, and 4 carry ons we both felt ashamed. After seeing that most hard working middle class families here can hang all of their clothing on one clothes line, I honestly felt ridiculous that I would think 6 suitcases and 4 carry ons was a sacrifice.

We are all so scared of what might happen if we don't live comfortably. We are shackled by our possessions and wrap our arms so tightly around what we have that we cannot extend our arms to help those around us who truly NEED. We walk around with closed fists.

Yesterday I woke up feeling defeated, wondering what exactly we are doing here. I know why we want to be here, but what opportunities will present themself, and how will we be used to make it all worth while? I believe God is telling me there is no formula to make this task easy. Jesus is SIMPLY giving us people and telling us to live for them. Love them, serve them, and lead them. Lead them to follow me, and lead them to lead others to follow me.


God Bless,

Jessica


"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and excellent post! I totally agree, and it really doesn't matter where we are or who we're with, we're called to Love. Thank goodness love needs no words. :-) I hope this opportunity changes lives around you, but I also think it will change you guys too! (not that you need changing, but I think you know what I mean?) We all need change. Anyway, I need to go through life today and remember this post in my interactions with people. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete