Tuesday, February 8, 2011

So Where exactly in China do we live???

Many of you may be wondering just where in China we are actually living? I thought it would be fun to show you a few pictures and post a little information about this incredible city that we currently call home!

We live in Shenzhen, which lies just across the border from Hong Kong. Shenzhen is one of the largest and most modern cities in China. What once was a small fishing port twenty years ago has now become China's first special economic zone, home to the world's largest manufacturing centers and approximately 12 million people.
Many American and European companies have transferred their production to Shenzhen. The iPod to name one example is "designed in California" and made in Shenzhen. Shenzhen is filled with migrant works, so we enjoy authentic foods from all the different corners of China, as well as an abundance of international foods such as Papa Johns, McDonalds, and Subway to name a few. Starbucks has even taken over China. All of the drinks are Western prices, which hurts, but it is nice to go sit, have a coffee and read a good book. It makes this place feel a little more like home.

This is what you call CHINGLISH. There are so many signs around the city that are written in English... however I'm not always sure what they are asking of me. I wasn't planning on getting on the dog, but okay I'll keep off. We see this sign everyday, and I laugh everytime. And Last but not least ...
The Chinese LOVE to practice their English. We were standing in line at McDonalds when the girl behind us said loudly "I wan't a BIG MAC and I want a Strawberry Milkshake" ... Jon turned around because he thought she was talking to him. She looked at him and stated "Oh no I don't want that, I am just practicing my English."

The word maybe starts most sentences - when Chinese speak English and they ask you to do something they always add maybe to the sentence and make it a statement rather than question. "Maybe you go to dinner with us" "Maybe you teach five more classes."

We get stared at by about 95% percent of the people we walk by. It is not rude to stare in China so people will watch you till you pass by and then even turn around on their bikes and motorcycles to continue to watch until the last moment. They LOVE American Children. Especially blonde ones!!!
Here are a few pictures of some of the friends we have made...

I feel so privileged to know these people, they are strong and beautiful souls and I am daily inspired by what they bring to my life.

We are here to serve, we are going to love and we are going to TELL people about the one who we live for. The God of second chances, the God who saves, the God who heals and restores- the one true God.

God Bless,

Jessica, Jon and Grace

1 comment:

  1. Loveeee this post Jess! And I love you more! =) Give Grace big hugs and kisses from K and E!

    ReplyDelete